Monday, July 11, 2011

Family

My family was separated after the Asia-Pacific War.  In 1948 my grandparents went on a trip to Taiwan and then suddenly couldn't come home and lost touch with their families.  It was a difficult separation and caused a lot of turmoil in our family.  In the early 1990, my grandparents finally got in touch and went back to China.  It was very bitter sweet and they did not want to return again.  This year, my grandfather turned 92 and decided he needed to to make the transpacific flight from Chicago one more time. My mom, aunt, uncle and his wife and I all accompanied them.  This is the first time I've ever met my extended family.  I always thought I had a small family and now suddenly I have  HUGE family.  Day in and day out for the first 3 weeks in July, different groups of family would come from different parts of Northeast China and Inner-Mongolia to our apt in Beijing to pay their respects.  It really was an overwhelming and amazing experience sitting around with people who all look so familiar.  In one way or another, we all share an expression, a smile, a hairline or even similar stubborn attitudes.  Even though we've never met, they all welcomed us with open arms and now I finally know what it's like to have family.

a portion of the Wu family, mainly my grandfather's older brother (who is no longer with us)'s son and daughter's family, my grandfather is 2nd in line, the 3rd brother's son, and the 5th brother (who is also no longer with his)'s wife and sons

 7th brother, only little sister, my grandfather, and 3rd brother

this is mainly the 3rd brother's daughters

my grandmother's older brother and his family from tongliao in inner mongolia

No comments:

Post a Comment