Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Break 2011

Sunset March 11, 2011
The second I got back to Miami, it was straight to Lexing's Tuesday Tea event, but I was only able to stay a moment because Yuri picked me to up to go to the Jipsy's "Just As You Were" at Butter Gallery.  Jipsy is a cool NYer and photographer here in Miami.  Images are all very iconic to the Miami night scene.  The show was jam packed, Jipsy is definitely one popular gal.  Gallery Diet also had an interesting show that opened last week, Samantha Salzinger's photographs of miniature table top post-apocolyptic landscapes.  Very cute.



Saturday night, Karelle asked me to the Gusman Center to see the Miami International Film Festival screening of Incendies, very powerful film by Denis Villeneuve about two Arab-Canadian brother and sister in search of their mother's incredible past.  Anyway, the 2.5 hours went by so quickly and we left the theater wide eyed and speechless.  Don't want to give it away, but if you get a chance, see it.

Enrico Iuliano, Composition for glass objects on Vespa, 2005
On Sunday, Lexing and I decided to get in touch with our roots.  We drove out to Kon Chau for Dimsum (which i think maybe the best dimsum in S. Florida, must get the green tea mushroom dumplings) and Lucky Oriental Mart.  It turns out that the owner of Lucky and Lexing are from the same city in Xinjiang, China but 20 plus years apart.  It was quite interesting listening to them describe the details of each street and landmark in their hometown.  Lucky Oriental Mart has the most comprehensive selection and of Asian food and goods that I've seen in Miami.  Next, we visited the Frost Art Museum, which I think is one of the better museum facilities in S. Florida.  The Gran Torino:  Italian Contemporary Art is definitely worth checking out before it comes down in April (it's free).  Then, we stopped at the Ceramics League of Miami to check out the studio.  Turns out, I met some really nice people and signed up to attend a class. 

I spent a day at Jillian Mayer's studio. She's working on one project or another and has rotating interns just happy to be painting!  I sat in the mix of the large painted panels and cans of half open paint and assisted to the best of my ability.  I can't wait to see her show in April at David Castillo Gallery!

Bowling Team: R-man, Robert, Yuri, Me and Annie
March 17 is my birthday.  I started the day at the Ceramics League in a class with Lee, a member and teacher there.  She got me back on the wheel and it was quite invigorating.  After 3 hours, 8 cylinders and 3 bowls later, I wedged it all back into a giant lump of clay and was on my way to start my birthday!  We started the evening at MOCA for an opening and what I think was the most clausterphobic museum show I've ever attended.  Large sculptures loomed above and all around.  I felt like I was 6 years old with my grandma in a department store.  Walking around trying to not knock anything over.  Then we headed over to Lucky Strike for my bowling birthday party!  It was great to see everybody.  We bowled 2 games and amazingly, I actually won the 2nd one at a whopping 138!!  (thanks guys for letting me win...) WOOHOO for the Bday Girl!


Friday was DeLa Cruz Collection lecture with Dominic Molon, chief curator of Contemporary Art Museums St. Louis.  Dominic used to be the curator of MCA in Chicago which I frequent when I'm in Chicago.  He seemed like a very down to earth midwesterner who spoke very frankly about his explemplary exhibition history and the challenge of exposing contemporary to the meat and potato people of the greater Chicagoland area.  A pit stop in Cafeina and then off to the Townhouse hotel for a party hosted by The Quorum for the "most not pretentious" party with the "coolest crowd in Miami".  After a drink and accosting the event photographer, Yuri kidnapped me to Bar and then Vagabond.  One thing I got to say about Vagabond...the fish sandwich and the curry truffle cheese fries...mmmmm....

Yuri and Lexing at KRELwear/944 Fashion event at Mondrian
Saturday was off to a slow slow start.  It didn't really start until lunch at Egyptian Pizza, a new restaurant in town with Caroline, Robert and Yuri.  The four of us ordered 4 pizzas and we ate all of it. It was ok, not the best pizza in the world, but better than most here in MIA.  Then back to bed for a nap and then off to Mangos with the Director General of Taiwan, Raymond Mou with his friend Alan from Chicago.  To my great relief when they saw the South Beach Spring Break crowd, they called saying they didn't want to go to Mangos and that seeing it was enough of a Miami experience.  I suggested that we go to Asia de Cuba inside the Mondrian where we were planning to attend a later event for the 944 Fashion Issue Release party where they were featuring KRELwear fashion show.  It was a ton of fun, everybody showed up.  They served a pink raspberry vodka drink that tasted like Japanese strawberry candy!  It was a beautiful night with the Super Moon!



SUPER MOON!!
Sunday was so lazy, it's almost not worth mentioning except Yuri and I attempted to go to the beach for a lazy day but ended up at the Raleigh Hotel and spending an enormous amount of money on parking, a couple bloody marys and some lunch.  It goes to show how numerous late nights and the full moon can impair your judgment.  This coming week will hopefully be more calm and productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment